Consultant associate members have access to the full range of industry information. Associate membership does not infer any endorsement or quality check of these individuals.
- education and training policies and strategies
- educational measurement and related psychometrics
- design, development and regulation of national and international qualifications.
- research issues using desk research, interviews, workshops, surveys, etc
- develop policies, strategies and methods for my client and/or my client’s sponsors
- structure and prepare reports, policy documentation, codes of practice and guidance
- make presentations, deliver training, facilitate group work, and coach individuals.
I can work alone, with other consultancies, or by leading a network of associates. I am experienced in managing projects over extended periods and involving up to 50 staff.
I have over 20 years’ experience in developing qualifications, performance standards and competency frameworks in various formats to meet client needs including awarding bodies, professional bodies, government departments and agencies and private sector organizations both in the UK and overseas. My work has also involved carrying out skills-related research (e.g. occupational maps, skills foresights surveys, career maps), creating assessment materials, mapping skills requirements (e.g. for professional registration purposes and mapping military training to civilian qualifications), developing Apprenticeships (SASE and Trailblazer), conducting market research and providing on-going advice to clients, sometimes over a period of many years.
Known for my systematic approach and “word smithing” abilities, I create assessment documents, guidance, HR tools, marketing and publicity materials in addition to qualifications specifications. Much of this work involves making presentations, publishing articles and running training and briefing events.
I always work in collaboration with the client and usually with expert industry working groups. I also have experience in managing teams of associates (up to 45 people) to achieve projects’ objectives.
Contact Number: 0208 806 4910/07808 296278
I am an educationalist having spent most of my career working in the field of education. In that field initially I worked as a teacher; in secondary schools, further education and higher education. In FE I managed a team delivering BTEC Business, in secondary school I taught both vocational and general business studies and led the vocational team, while in HE I was a teacher trainer delivering Business and Professional Studies on a post graduate programme.
I worked as a local authority adviser in Southwark in South London as part of the then government’s technical and vocational education initiative (TVEI) where I advised local schools on the introduction of vocational education and training initiatives. I then spent a number of years working for a leading awarding body. As well as being Business Studies trained I am also ESOL qualified.
I spent a number of years working for a leading awarding body. My roles at the awarding body included qualification development and training teachers to introduce qualifications (including developing Skills for Life, key skills, adult basic skills and BTEC qualifications, as well as Religious Studes academic qualifications), commercial business manager with responsibility for the basic and functional skills qualifications, and Policy Manager specialising in the skills agenda. Latterly I was Head of Regulatory Policy and Governance in the Quality, Research and Standards Division of Pearson. I left the awarding body in 2015 to set up as an education consultant, specialising in all aspects of awarding body regulation, including policy and qualifications development.
While at the awarding body I applied for and was seconded to what is now the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, advising on the adult basic skills agenda from an awarding body perspective.
I also have long and successful experience of secondary school governance and I am the Vice Chair of governors in a successful secondary school in London, where I make good use of my expertise in curriculum and policy. I am the governors’ representative on the local governors’ group. I also chair a local community group allocating funding to young people’s voluntary groups.
I have worked for a range of organisations since becoming a consultant. These include professional bodies, a charity and a large awarding body. Most recently she has worked with a third sector organisation to advise it as it explores the possibility of becoming an awarding organisation and seeks to understand Ofqual’s regulatory requirements.
Peter deals specifically with the design, development and management of examinations and assessment programmes for awarding bodies, professional bodies and internal company use. He has recently been appointed as an international external verifier for the SQA.
Peter has had exposure to the way assessments and examinations are designed and developed many parts of the world including USA, South Africa, Netherlands, Denmark, Finland and in different industry segments including Financial Services, Telecommunications, IT, Auditing, world trade finance.On a personal note Peter:
- is a qualifications rater for the SQA
- is an international external verifier for the SQA
- was elected as a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Bankers in 2000,
- is a member of the, US based, Institute for Credentialing Excellence (ICE),
- has judged, on a competency based model, the Financial Adviser of the Year Award on behalf of FT Business in the UK and Incoming and Outgoing Call Centre Professional,
- has had many articles published on the subject of competence assessment and the design and development of professional qualifications,
- has presented at many conferences, in the UK and other countries (including South Africa and the USA) on the subject of competence development and assessment and the design and development of professional qualifications,
- was the UK’s competence assessment expert on ISO/TC222222 for Financial Planning.
- has been engaged as the lead consultant for the introduction of many examinations for professional bodies.
- Runs workshops for the Federation of Awarding Bodies on the Design and Development of examinations and assessments
- The Chartered Institute of Securities and Investments where he is writing items for a number of its examinations.
- The Institute of Directors where he has been engaged as the Consultant on Certificate Bank Re-Construction.
- The Fire Industry Association Awarding Organisation (FIA AO), where he is guiding them through the introduction of their qualifications.
- The SQA, as detailed above.
- The Institute of the Motor Industry working on the apprenticeship qualifications
- The Association for Project Management running examination development workshops.
Denise Edens has over 28 years’ experience in the education sector. She gained a wealth of experience at Edexcel, the UK’s largest awarding organisation, where she worked in assessment, qualification development and project management. She also headed the ISMM, an awarding organisation for sales people, and taught in a variety of state and private schools in the UK and overseas. Denise is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Educational Assessors.
Denise offers freelance services to awarding organisations through her company, Edens Education Ltd. Services include:
- Developing qualifications
- Writing and reviewing assignments, exam papers and mark schemes in English, German, French, Spanish and Italian
- Project management of development projects
- Training staff on assessment and qualification development
- Assisting with policies and with becoming an awarding organisation
- Undertaking assessment, standardisation and awarding of ‘live’ qualifications
- Developing National Occupational Standards
- Developing competencies and statements for competency self-assessment tests
- Developing progression scales for English as a Second Language and foreign languages
Recent projects include:
- Writing units and assignments and conducting centre EV visits for ATHE
- Writing Modern Languages assignments and reviewing qualifications for IoLET
- Supporting a new member of the qualification team at Skillsfirst
- Training on qualification development for members of the Federation of Awarding Bodies and Qualifications Wales
- Advising awarding organisations on public funding
- Developing bespoke qualifications for Pearson’s self-regulated framework
- Developing Edexcel GCSE and A level languages qualifications, assessments and student and teacher support materials
- Writing module tests for Pearson’s AQA and Edexcel GCSE German student books Stimmt!
- Developing Saudi Arabian National Occupational Standards in Retail and Sales
- Developing vocational qualifications for Kaplan Finance and Institute of British Sign Language
- Developing competencies for sales roles and statements for online competency self-assessment test for SalesAssessment.com
- Project managing the dissemination of an ESL assessment tool for primary and secondary schools in England