Director of Product and Standards | Swindon, Wiltshire
Highly Competitive Salary | Permanent
Closing Date 06 August 2018
Please send your CV to HR@BCS.UK to be managed in complete confidence.
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, is committed to making IT good for society. We use the power of our network to bring about positive, tangible change. We champion the global IT profession and the interests of individuals, engaged in that profession, for the benefit of all.
We have a vacancy for a senior strategic role as Director of Product and Standards to join the Product department of our Learning and Development division. In this vital role, the Director of Product and Standards is key to developing and aligning our products and standards with our commercial goals.
About the Role:
Our current and future products are vital to the sustainability of the organisation, both commercially and reputationally. It is also crucial that these are aligned with rigorous, well understood professional standards valued by the profession.
This role exists to direct and control all product and standards activities across the group, to maximise their benefit towards the organisation’s purpose. It will also manage and develop a team of skilled professionals to drive a culture of cooperation, innovation, empowerment, and expertise.
- Develop, direct and refresh a strategy for products and standards for the Group ensuring alignment with our purpose and commercial goals. Accountable for the implementation of the strategy and ensuring the team meets their objectives.
- Build and manage a compelling product and service portfolio that aligns with relevant standards and drives membership. Adopt an appropriate mix of build, partner or licence
- Develop compelling customer value propositions that build demand for products and services
- Ensure that internal users and external licensees maintain the quality and reputation of BCS products and standards, and that they are empowered to use them appropriately and effectively
- Be accountable for product and service performance in terms of income and expenditure, quality and customer satisfaction
- Ensuring appropriate structures, systems and competencies are developed to deliver the Group’s strategic goals, including those around growth, reach, revenue and profit
- Identify strategic partners and manage relationships with them
- Act as an evangelist for the business, maximising networking opportunities and speaking at industry events, based on a deep understanding of the market and the competitive environment
- Direct representation of BCS to relevant standards organisations including those we license standards from
- Be an effective member of the senior management team by exhibiting positive leadership, contributing to the Group’s strategic development and business plan
- Motivate, lead, guide and support a team of senior managers across product management, product development and standards management, ensuring a fair and consistent approach of workloads and development to produce a highly effective team
- Manage and maximise the experience and expertise available within BCS staff teams and the volunteer community
- Participate as the representative Director on relevant Boards and committees
- Be the external figurehead for the BCS on standards activities engaging with the relevant Board, Trustees and key members as well as stakeholders from across the market
- Flexibility is required of all job holders to adjust responsibilities as required from time to time by their Line Manager/Divisional Director.
- There is an expectation that all staff will live BCS’ values and support our purpose.
- Continually looking at ways to make improvements to systems, processes, and procedures.
- The content and reporting lines detailed in this job description may be reviewed and changed from time to time to reflect organisational requirements.
Who we are looking for;
- Graduate level or equivalent with knowledge and expertise in the IT sector
- Significant track record in the application and or development of standards and products in a professional context
- Demonstrable experience in establishing and maintaining excellent working relationships with a multitude of stakeholders internally and externally
- Proven experience with standards and their commercial/operational application
- Significant experience in engaging and influencing internal individuals at all levels
- Proven experience with income and expenditure
- Significant experience motivating, leading teams under an organisation/departmental strategy
- Significant experience in setting of standards and certification
- Manage and influence volunteer communities
- Strong business and financial planning skills
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Able to represent the organisation in a variety of complex and political environments
- Ability to encourage areas for improvement within your department
- Exceptional written and oral communication, the ability to influence through well-constructed papers and articles
- Confident in public with well-developed presentation skills
- Ability to adapt style to different communities and contexts
- Capability to develop and critically appraise business plans
- Able to horizon scan and connect across multiple product categories
Knowledge and understanding of
- IT/Charity/Training and Development sector
- Education/IT and Training sectors
- Government Funding Scheme, Agencies, and Partners
- Regulator compliance and adherence to standards
- Data Protection/GDPR
The role will be based in Swindon and must be able to travel as and when required for functions, events, board meetings and committees. This may include unsocial hours and overnight stays. A full driving licence is required.
We are dedicated to providing training and development to help all staff realise their potential, and also offer a generous benefit package, including 23 days annual leave, contributory pension scheme, life assurance, PMI and parking.
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT are committed to promoting equality at every opportunity as an employer. This statement and our policies are designed to ensure our recruitment and employment practices and procedures actively promote equality of opportunity and value diversity.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK upon application.
Recruitment agencies need not forward CVs.
Please send your CV to HR@BCS.UK