Summary of the role
The Pensions Management Institute (PMI) is the UK's largest and most recognisable professional body for employee benefit and retirement savings professionals, supporting over 6,500 members in 32 countries. PMI offers a suite of existing long-running qualifications that are recognised as the bedrock of the industry.
Following a recent departure, the organisation is keen to continue to build on its current capabilities and reputation and ensure the operational management and delivery of examinations and assessments is not unduly affected. PMI is undertaking a strategic review of its entire qualifications portfolio and will be implementing Board-approved changes later in 2018/19 likely including the modernisation of processes and learning methods; simplification of pathways, etc.
The role reports to the Chief Executive and is responsible, in summary, for:
- Delivery of qualifications & assessments.
- Compliance & risk management.
- People management (including staff & committees).
- Completion of the strategic review of qualifications.
- Financial performance & planning.
- Implementation of outputs from the strategic review of the qualifications portfolio and other approved plans.
(a full job description and informal discussion are available on request)
Experience and capabilities required:
The role requires a proven, experienced manager with an excellent understanding of the pedagogy of modern learning and the ability to balance the responsibilities of managing a dedicated team whilst understanding the wider industry’s learning and education needs and delivering them. The individual will have the ability to help drive the culture, management, technology and pedagogic approaches for the Institute to keep pace with developments in the industry and society. It is envisaged that the successful individual will have the drive and capability to implement these changes in a way that motivates the team and wider organization. The successful applicant will be passionate about learning and its outcomes. The individual is likely to have led an education team as a minimum, and more likely to have experience delivering regulated qualifications. Experience of working in a Professional Body and/or the pensions sector will be a distinct advantage although not mandatory.
- Previous experience working in a management role within the Qualifications (or similar) department within a Professional Body.
- Ability to run a team dedicated to providing highest levels of customer support in qualifications, assessments and study support service.
- Ability to develop, motivate and support staff at all levels.
- Ability to understand and work to parameters set by industry/educational regulators (eg Ofqual/FCA).
- Ability to prioritise and delegate.
- Ability to influence at senior level, demonstrating breadth and depth of knowledge and sound judgement
- Track record of successful change and process improvement.
- Track record of working with commercial/marketing teams to develop and deliver better learning outcomes and improved revenue.
- Good communication skills – orally and in writing.
- Ability to demonstrate key skills in such areas as leadership, planning and relationship building.
- Ability to work with advisory and oversight committees
PMI is currently recruiting for a permanent replacement but is unlikely to have someone in post for several months. This role would suit someone looking for a 3-6 month contract with the possiblilty of applying for a permanent role.
How to apply
To apply for the role, based at the new PMI offices in central London's prestigious Tower 42, please send your CV and covering letter to Gareth Tancred, Chief Executive, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Enquiries for further information are also welcomed.