Product Manager - Education | Swindon, Wiltshire
Salary Up to £45,000 p.a. | Permanent
Application closing date: 23 July 2018
Please send your CV and cover letter to HR@BCS.UK where your application will be managed in complete confidence.
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, is committed to making IT good for society. We use the power of our network to bring about positive, tangible change. We champion the global IT profession and the interests of individuals, engaged in that profession, for the benefit of all.
We are looking for a Product Manager - Education to join our Product Management team for a permanent opportunity working full time from our Swindon offices, close to the town centre and key transport links.
About the Role:
This role involves working as part of the Education Product Management team to ensure the existing and future product portfolio is meeting customer needs and achieving growth, reaching revenue and profit goals.
It also requires developing a deep understanding of the Education marketplace, through both schools and private training providers, to develop new products and services that meet customer needs.
- Create the 3-year Product Plan for the Education portfolio in conjunction with the Senior Product Manager;
- Own the 3-year Product Plan for your specific portfolio area to ensure agreed growth, reach, revenue and profit goals are met;
- Ensure all regulatory requirements are met (e.g. Ofqual, DfE, ESFA, etc), working closely with the product development and operations teams;
- Continually review the commercial viability of the existing product set to ensure it maximises growth opportunities in the marketplace. Monitor and report monthly on the performance of products, managing reporting and analyses of income and expenditure for your practice area and identifying risks and mitigation strategies as necessary;
- Research and understand customer needs in the education marketplace in order to develop new products and services that will enable the portfolio to grow and BCS’s position in the market to become more established;
- Work closely with the Institute’s Academy team and the Computing at Schools network to ensure alignment of education activities across the group;
- Management of all costs associated with practice area and setting the relevant prices for the practice to ensure desired income and margin objectives are met;
- Create business cases for development activity for new or existing products. Assess them for commercial viability and decide which developments to recommend to your manager for forward action. Progress into project planning, working collaboratively with Product Development, Systems, Marketing and Sales to deliver successful rollouts;
- Manage suppliers and contracts, negotiating and maintaining contracts to achieve suitable margins and profitability, liaising with your manager and the Sourcing Manager as appropriate;
- Be the focal point of knowledge for the market, competitor & customer base in your specific product area. Own action plans to drive the growth of existing products, respond to competitor activity and develop new business proposals, working with your manager to amend product strategy as necessary.
- Represent BCS in the external marketplace on a regular basis;
- Manage the product marketing elements of customer focus, pricing, packaging, prioritisation and sales enablement (promotion, tools, etc.) working in conjunction with other relevant departments;
- Collaborate on whether or not BCS should progress with product bids and tenders based on consultation with other departments and your manager as required;
- Flexibility is required of all job holders to adjust responsibilities as required from time to time by their Line Manager/Divisional Director;
- The content and reporting lines detailed in this job description may be reviewed and changed from time to time to reflect organisational requirements;
- There is an expectation that all staff will live BCS’ values and support our purpose;
- Continually looking at ways to make improvements to systems, processes, and procedures
Who we are looking for;
- Significant experience and a track record of success in Product Management, Marketing or Sales & Services
- Proven experience in the UK education marketplace –experience selling or marketing into schools, FE colleges, Universities etc
- Proven experience negotiating commercial and contractual terms successfully
- Proven experience in developing and assessing the viability of business cases, budgets and plans
- Proven experience in either education qualifications development or development of eLearning and educational content in a regulated environment.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Relates easily and effectively to colleagues, customers, suppliers, and partners
- Able to assess the viability of a group of products and implement change to ensure it maximises growth opportunities in the marketplace.
- Well organised and results-oriented. Follows through appropriately
- Numerate. Able to analyse complex data to establish trends and forecasts
- Confident presenter and communicator
- Ability to identify areas for improvement within your department
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to prioritise workloads to meet deadlines
We provide training and development to help all staff to realise their potential, and also offer a generous benefit package, including 23 days annual leave, contributory pension scheme, life assurance, PMI, and parking.
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT is committed to promoting equality at every opportunity as an employer. This statement and our policies are designed to ensure our recruitment and employment practices and procedures actively promote equality of opportunity and value diversity.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK upon application.
We are not accepting submissions from recruitment agencies for this role.
How to apply: Please send your CV to HR@BCS.UK