CIPR Chief Examiner – Specialist Diploma (Digital Communications)
Closing date for applications: Close of business on 1st July 2019
Interviews: 15th August 2019
Start date: 1 October 2019
Tenure: reviewed annually
The CIPR Specialist Diploma (Digital Communications) is part of the CIPR’s suite of specialist qualifications which will be taught to postgraduate-degree level standard at a number of CIPR Accredited Teaching Centres in the UK and overseas. We are looking for a suitably qualified Chief Examiner to ensure that the assessment standards for this qualification meet the CIPR Awarding Body specification and to maintain the quality of assessment standards across all study centres. The Chief Examiner is a member of the Board of Examiners. The CIPR is a full member of the Federation of Awarding Bodies (FAB).
- Undertake external moderation duties within the guidelines laid down by the CIPR Awarding Body.
Provide written feedback to study centres on their standards in relation to the application of marking criteria and internal moderation, and appropriateness and usefulness of written feedback to students.
- Provide a written report to the Board of Examiners and make recommendations for the approval of grades to the Board of Examiners.
- Participate in each Exam Board meeting (four each year) to ensure that there is equivalence in the standard of the award across all centres.
- Provide general, and, where necessary, specific guidance to centres for improving marking and internal moderation standards.
- Act as adjudicator of other CIPR qualification units (when a student appeals the confirmed grade given).
Evaluate content and develop the qualification.
- Periodically review and update the assessment briefing paper.
- Periodically review and update the marking criteria and assessment feedback form.
- Attend the annual CIPR Course Leaders’ meeting and provide a report summarising the key issues of the past year.
- Share examples of best practice with other Chief Examiners and advise on CIPR Awarding Body matters.
- Must be able to work collaboratively as a member of the Board of Examiners.
- Must be able commit to attending five meetings in London per year (four Exam Board meetings and one Course Leaders’ meeting).
Experience and qualifications
- Undergraduate or higher qualification in PR (or PR with: advertising/marketing communications/media studies).
- Relevant experience at a strategic level of digital communications.
- Awareness of issues regarding skills development in the PR profession.
- Academic teaching/assessment experience in the field of PR (preferably at postgraduate level).
- Membership of the CIPR (desirable).
- There are four assessment cycles each year:
Jan – Mar
Apr – Jun
Jul – Sep
Oct – Dec
- The last two are the key assessment periods for this unit.
- During this time, Chief Examiners must be able to commit to be available for a period of at least three weeks in the run-up to the Exam Board meetings.
- During this time, the Chief Examiner is required to undertake external moderation by sampling scripts across all centres and provide written feedback to the centres on the quality of their marking and internal moderation. Also, to make recommendations that will facilitate discussions on grade confirmation and to participate in the CIPR Awarding Body Exam Board meeting.
- A fixed fee is payable quarterly after each Exam Board has taken place. In addition, reasonable UK-based travel expenses will be paid as applicable.
- Chief Examiners are not directly employed by the CIPR and must submit an invoice for their services.
For further information or an initial discussion about this post, please contact the Awarding Body Manager, Bernadette Eveleigh, on 020 7631 6925 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to the CIPR Director of Professional Development and Membership, Mr Sukhjit Grewal – email@example.com
Alternatively, post to:
CIPR Awarding Body, c/o Qualifications Dept., CIPR, 85 Tottenham Court Road, London, W1T 4TQ
To apply for this job email your details to BernadetteE@cipr.co.uk