Product Management Analyst
Learner at the heart
Pearson is a global education company that helps people around the world to make progress in their lives through learning. With a rich heritage that combines 150 years of experience in publishing with the latest learning technology and digital services, we help people to learn whatever, wherever and however they choose. We are now transforming Pearson to accelerate our activity in digital learning, education services and emerging markets. This will enable us to make a lasting impact in helping to solve some of the most important challenges in global education.
Why we need you
We believe education is a vital force that can empower people, help them to reach their potential and contribute to more connected communities, all around the world. Our strength comes from our outstanding people; our strong relationships in the education world; our expertise in using technology to help people learn; our global footprint and local reach; and our position as a proﬁtable, global company with a unifying sense of purpose.
About the job
Pearson has a long and successful history and leads the way in the development of its vocational and work-based learning qualiﬁcations across the majority of sectors and at all levels. Our qualiﬁcations and services are developed against world class benchmarks to ensure that we equip learners with the underpinning knowledge, skills and behaviours needed for them to be successful in their careers. We also make sure that we support those delivering our qualiﬁcations with high-quality learning solutions and continuous professional development: a fully integrated approach to teaching, learning and assessment. Alongside these developments we complement our oﬀer by ensuring that, for the future, our solutions are oﬀered digitally. At this time of signiﬁcant change in the education system and the move to develop diﬀerentiated pathways for learners, we need to ensure that we continue to be the leading brand and are at the forefront of providing innovative solutions.
Our focus is applied, technical and professional qualiﬁcations, holistic apprenticeship and other tender solutions, integrated teaching and learning support and digitally-enabled learning support and assessment.
This role is responsible for supporting colleagues in the Portfolio Management team, Heads of Product and Sector and Portfolio Managers to create, maintain, analyse and share up-to-date sector and qualification and services data to support business, suite, sector, operational, sales and marketing strategy work related to the vocational portfolio. It is also responsible for managing and improving allocated processes within Product so the team and the rest of the business work together as effectively and efficiently as possible.
- To support in the management of the vocational portfolio to ensure that as much of it as possible is regulated, recognised by DfE and funded, supporting in the identiﬁcation of revenue risks and opportunities based on policy, regulatory and funding.
- To support the Product, Sales and Marketing teams to deliver financial targets, by the identification of customers to target in retention and win back campaigns, and for sales of new products
To support in building business cases, P&Ls and cost analysis, in particular for qualiﬁcation and services development and extensions and withdrawals, ensuring the data provided is accurate, insightful and well-presented.
- To support in the setting up and tracking of activity related to IFATE, DfE, funding, QW, CCEA and other submissions or tenders for qualiﬁcations and services.
- To support in the creation, maintenance and analysis of data sets and in the identification of key insights (e.g. registration, labour market intelligence and market share data) and competitor information for strategy and product development work within Product
- To support in developing and improving processes and data management within BTEC and Apprenticeships to make the team and the wider business as eﬃcient and eﬀective as possible
1. Developing and maintaining segment, sector and market insight
- Analysis of internal information (eg trends in registrations, product mix, results data) and external information (e.g. funding, performance measures, regulatory, labour market intelligence) for allocated parts of the portfolio.
- Creation and maintenance of up-to-date data sets (e.g. labour market intelligence, market share data, registrations data by segment, competitor portfolio analysis by market segment) that the Product team can use to inform development of the strategies for their segments, suites and sectors
- Research, analyse and archive competitor portfolios to support suite and sector strategy work (e.g. as part of the DfE, IFATE, QW and CCEA submission processes)
2. Developing propositions, managing budgets, and forecasting
- Support the Portfolio Management team, Heads of Product and Sector and Portfolio Managers in building business cases by ensuring those cases are supported by accurate and well-presented data. This will involve creating prioritised product pipelines and creating registration and revenue forecasting models that can be easily manipulated as our market understanding increases.
- Support the Portfolio Management team, Heads of Product and Sector and Portfolio Managers in developing proposals for qualiﬁcation and service extensions and withdrawals for Product Councils, and ensuring teams across Pearson UK contribute and approve those proposals.
3. Supporting customers through the lifecycle and improving customer experience
- Support the Portfolio team in managing the vocational portfolio to ensure that take-up of the portfolio is maximised, in particular that DfE recognition for performance measures and funding is in place for parts of the portfolio that require this and that all information about qualiﬁcations is up to date (e.g. last registration and certiﬁcation dates). This will involve ensuring data from diﬀerent sources is synchronised, reports are generated for monthly meetings and portfolio actions are tracked and resolved.
- Support the Portfolio Management team, Heads of Product, Sector and Portfolio Managers, Sales and Marketing in creating clear transition plans between qualiﬁcations and suites of qualiﬁcations as required
- Support colleagues from PQS to ensure they have the data and insight they require (e.g. qualiﬁcation and exam entry forecasts) to provide a good customer experience (e.g. timely SV recruitment).
4. Briefing, developing and launching new products and services
- Support the Portfolio Management team, Heads of Product and Sector and Portfolio Managers through government, regulatory or funding tendering and submission processes. This will involve creating and maintaining tracking sheets; logging and quality assuring letters of support where relevant; prooﬁng materials for submission; co-ordinating information for upload to the website; and archiving materials
- Support teams in Pearson working on the implementation of our qualiﬁcations and services to ensure they have the insight and data they need for eﬀective implementation (e.g. forecasting data)
5. Leadership and people management
- Work eﬀectively in virtual teams with colleagues across Pearson to ensure a positive working culture, in support of Pearson UK and BTEC and Apprenticeships divisional strategies.
- Champion a ‘customer ﬁrst’ culture across Pearson, ensuring that all decisions are made with reference to the needs of our customers and learners.
- Support the Portfolio Management team in developing and improving processes and data management within Product (e.g. comprehensive and up-to-date data sets and insight, clear folder structures, capacity planning) so the team and the rest of the business work together as eﬀectively and eﬃciently as possible.
Desired behavioural competencies:
- Virtual team and people leadership and management skills
- Strategic thinking skills: the ability to think strategically, identify attractive market segments and key sources of competitive advantage, and to balance a strong commercial focus with regulatory and legal requirements, assessment reliability/validity and operational requirements to create solutions for customers that are practical and have competitive advantage
- Creative thinking and customer empathy: the ability to articulate new propositions based on customer needs and the generation of customer insight
- Relationship building: in particular, with customers, employers, commercial partners, government agencies and within Pearson
- Communication, networking and inﬂuencing externally and internally (in particular to work eﬀectively with colleagues in Pearson across diﬀerent sites and within a matrix structure)
- Commercial and ﬁnancial planning skills: the ability to plan and monitor revenue and proﬁt, and identify and report trends as they emerge
- Organisational and project management skills
Driven by Customer and Learner Requirements Understands customer/learner needs, what they value and why, and applies creative thinking to make a diﬀerence. Makes decisions that have a positive impact on customer and learner issues for the beneﬁt of Pearson overall.
Essential skills, qualifications and experience:
- Qualiﬁed to HND /degree level, equivalent qualiﬁcations or extensive experience in the sector
Advanced Excel, Google sheets
- Interrogation, analysis and generation of insight from publicly available data sets such as National Statistics Oﬃce data on demography, sectoral employment, apprenticeships, NEETs etc
- Ability to report on priorities, identify trends, generate insight such as competitor gap analysis
- Update, amend and adapt forecasts using multiple data sources
- Ability to identify and solve problems
- Attention to detail balanced against track record of delivery.
Desirable skills, qualifications and experience:
- Use of labour market Intelligence data and tools to analyse employment data
- Use of Tableau, Oracle Discoverer, Business Objects and other analytical tools
- Experience and understanding of qualiﬁcations and the UK and international education market and environment (e.g. Further Education colleges, schools, sixth form colleges, private training providers, employers, professional bodies)
- Experience and understanding of industry or employment sectors
- Organisationally Agile Adapts quickly to new situations where roles and work are not clearly deﬁned. Proactively seeks information to understand the reasons for change and adapts approach accordingly.
- Influences without Authority Conveys messages and clear outcomes to diverse audiences using the most eﬀective channels in an easily understood, convincing and actionable manner. Identiﬁes stakeholders, seeks input and actively listens to build support and identify best solutions.
- Prioritises and makes Effective Decisions Breaks down work into manageable parts, assessing the priories and schedule required to deliver on time. Ensures the quality of the data provided to analyse possible solutions and support eﬀective decision making.
- Builds Relationships Creates relationships with peers quickly and conﬁdently, building trust and win-win partnerships. Proactively networks with other teams to discuss common issues and share knowledge.
- Outcomes Oriented Diﬀerentiates between outputs and outcomes, working with a focus on achieving desired outcomes. Understands the intended outcomes of own work and how they contribute to Pearson’s broader objectives including customers and learners.
- Continuously Improves Actively seeks opportunities for improvement and presents ideas for increasing eﬀectiveness and eﬃciency of own work. Demonstrates willingness and ﬂexibility to adapt own approach to new ways of working to achieve improved outcomes.
- Evidence Informed Identiﬁes and collects reliable data necessary to build evidence to enable and support decisions. Organises and analyses information (into meaningful / related areas) to form robust, evidence-based conclusions.
- Commercially Aware Understands and can articulate Pearson’s business goals and what own business, own team and self do to contribute to Pearson’s success. Uses that knowledge to identify better ways of working to meet those goals.
- Digitally Focused Understands and embraces how digital technology is changing education and assessment and the implications this has on own day-to-day work. Recognises the opportunities digital technology creates for Pearson to increase its reach, generate proﬁtable business opportunities and create more eﬀective products for its market.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org