Functional Skills in maths and English should be available for learners who want to develop and demonstrate their skills in these subjects in a more applied context. The functional aspect of these qualification must continue if the reformed qualifications are to provide a high quality, valid alternative to traditional English and maths qualifications whether this achievement is as part of an apprenticeships or another technical education programme.
We believe that the reform of the Functional Skills qualifications would be strengthened by:
- The development of functional skills performance descriptors for use across all awarding organisations.
Action we have taken
Since the reform began, we have
- Established our Functional Skills Group which provides an opportunity for members to share issues with their peers and have regular, direct dialogue with representatives who are leading the reform for Ofqual and the Department for Education (DfE).
- Secured a place on the Ofqual Functional Skills Oversight Board which meets quarterly to consider progress with the reform programme.
- Attended the Ofqual Functional Skills Technical Group which meets to consider the technical detail of the reform proposals.
- Facilitated opportunities for members to have detailed discussion of the reformed content with DfE and Ofqual
Details about our priorities in this area can be found in our Policy Bible – link
To have high-quality reformed qualifications in place which offer learners a more applied route to achieving nationally recognised and valued qualifications in English and maths.
Key policy documents
- Response to the Building our Industrial Strategy Green Paper, April 2017
- FAB response to the Department for Education consultation on the English and Maths Functional Skills revised subject content
- FAB response to Ofqual consultation on reforming functional skills qualifications in English and maths–
- FAB Response to the Select Committee on Economic Affairs, September 2017
- FAB response to the Ofqual consultation on reforming Functional Skills qualifications in English and maths- May 2018